Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I Just Can't Fall in Love

Maybe it's just me...maybe I'm distracted by, you know, trying to get another job.

But here I am, able to stay up past 10 o'clock at night for the first time in eight years and I find myself more entranced by Deadliest Catch than the NBA Finals.

I know, it's Kobe against Orlando. What's not to like, right?

But I just can't fall in love with this NBA Finals.

In fact, if Orlando wasn't in the Finals, I'm not sure I would even flip back and forth between Sig Hanson landing big numbers of opilio crabs in the Bering Sea. As I'm writing this on the couch during the second quarter, my wife grabbed the remote to switch over to the 10 o'clock news on Channel 4. AND I LET HER!

I'll admit that since being moved from an afternoon show on the radio (for those of you who remember, the Mac Attack on AM 600 The BALL) to the mornings on WOKV, I haven't watch as many sporting events on TV. It just wasn't possible with that 4 am alarm looming. But now, here I am with all the time in the world and I just can't get going about the NBA Finals.

It would be a great story if Orlando were to shock the world and win the title, but it just isn't that compelling. Kobe is a big personality. He's a star. But Orlando? Can you pick Orlando star Dwight Howard out of a lineup?

If the finals had turned out to be Kobe's Lakers against LeBron James and the Cavaliers ,then there is something I could get into. But instead, it's Kobe having his way in the Magic Kingdom.

By the way, Tom Wills is still really good on the anchor desk. I gotta get that remote back from the wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment